Thursday, January 27, 2011

But baby, you'll freeze out there

Scarf-ection perfection, on thesartorialist.blogspot.com

 Rag&Bone, $115 on netaporter.com
My $20 homemade creation- two-ply is always better than one
There are few things that make me happier than being so cold my eyeballs ache. Sense the sarcasm? Well, in this climate (A balmy and tropical -31 this week) nothing combines practical, warm, and insanely chic like a big, drapey scarf. When the snow thaws in spring there are only two things I miss- wearing scarves, and seeing little pets walk down the street with itty-bitty coats on. (So cute, no?) 
And I get over it.
But although scarves are my winter security blanket, it can be tough to find ones long or bulky enough. After a few wears, most pashmina blends, cottons, wool or synthetics lose that fluffy quality, and who likes a limp stringy scarf flung around their neck ... nobody, that's who. So I did two things. First I went to fabricville and bought two yards of pale aqua stretch cotton jersey, and made a scarf identical to the great unfinished-edge jersey ones at American Apparel. Then, I bought two of the same cheapy (2 for $20) Ardene's scarf, times three. (That's six, people) and doubled up. Once two are sewn together, it's long, drapey ... scarf for days.
My homemade leopard scarf - $20
Yves Saint Lauren wool/cashmere leopard scarf, $995, netaporter.com

I wish I knew how , your eyes are like starlight now, 'cause baby it's cold outside.
S.

No comments: