Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sweet Pantomime

Love these @ Lanvin 
Androgynous, menswear-inspired pants aren't as challenging to pull off as they are hard to find on a budget. Sure, Lanvin, Burberry Prorsum and  and 3.1 Phillip Lim make perfectly modern, $795 versions, but chain retailers- and even most local higher-end boutiques- just never quite get it right, do they? 
But it's an intriguing and effortlessly glamourous aesthetic when taken to the extreme, and often vintage shops are the spot to go to find these silhouettes- and truly trouser-y trousers. 
New Wu- Jason Wu for SS2011


My vintage cobalt blue merino wool trouser-$2, and vintage houndstooth wool trouser- $14
my very own toonie tuesday?
I'm in mad-die-love with some high-waisted, baggy trousers. Yes, they can work for every body type, trust and prove, people. The key is to try different levels of high-waisted rises, fuller or slimmer leg volumes depending on your preference, harem-esque tight at the ankles, shorter, longer, loose or tight in the hips. I''m enamored with the feeling of these two vintage pairs (above) I bought a while ago. They're a risk, yes- I'm never sure they're fully understood- but with a high patent ankle-boot, white fitted beater or cropped swingy tee and bulky, drapey scarf they work. I wore the cobalt blue pair with lace-up wedge combat boots to meet my dad for a drink and bite at downtown's Rockbottom Brewery one night and he just shook his head. That's a good sign, point for the pants y'all. But, when I told him they were $2- yes, $2, this make him have big big smile. So everyone wins.

I might be contumacious when it comes to fashion boundaries- but, eh, at least I'm financially responsible.
S.

No comments: