Thursday, January 27, 2011

She says what she means, and...

 (Yes, I happen to take pictures of bathroom-stall graffiti.)
I mean, what can I say?
Lilli Ann's of San Fran jacket
My eye for vintage is improving by the year. I recently saw this black, sharp-shouldered, fit-and-flare, peplum blazer and knew I had a good thing on my hands. Though the rectangular crystal buttons threw me off ( I now know they were an after-market embellishment to the jacket), I brought it home with me for around $15 and researched the label- "Original Lilli Ann of San Francisco". 
If the blazer fits, wear it. And it does, perfectly.
Turns out, Lilli Ann was a women's suiting company that was integral in the economic development of the city of San Francisco from the 1940's and through the war years. Through WWII, the line remained committed to their brand's luxury even amidst textile shortages. 
1946 ad for Lilli Ann suiting
This label shows that my vintage jacket is from the 40's.
Fitted waists and peplums to the hip were a trademark of the company, so it was hard to surmise what era my jacket is from. But I have researched, and the National Coat and Suit Recovery Board seal on the inside of my jacket tells me it is a coat from the 1940's. This label assured consumers that the garment was made by workers who were not working excessive hours and who were being paid a fair hourly wage.

The delicious history of this amazing jacket aside, it fits me damn near perfectly. And, it's kind of got that "She means what she says" quality, I think.

Hmm...imagining the strong, free spirit of an eloquent 1940's beauty who meant what she said, captured in the beautiful black wool.
S.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just bought a vintage black velvet opera coat with a hood and a fitted waist with the same tag as pictured above on the inside of the coat! It is in beautiful shape for its age!